Saturday, January 13, 2007

Is it Hot in here or ...

Now I am in the midst of Heat: An Amateur's Adventures as Kitchen Slave, Line Cook, Pasta-Maker, and Apprentice to a Dante-Quoting Butcher in Tuscany by Bill Buford.

It is very good. I was expecting it to be a bit more like Anthony Bourdain's Kitchen Confidential -- all about the seamy underbelly of the cooking world (I wrote that, and now I see that unbelly is actually in the subtitle of the book). And, while there is an aspect of that, it's a lot more about learning about food. Also, there is quite a bit about various chefs and their real personalities.

I also started a bit into Gideon Defoe's The Pirates! In an Adventure with Ahab. I couldn't wait to read it, but I was really more interested in Heat, so I just read a few chapters.

I don't know what it is about these, but I think they are hilarious. Well, the joke starts to wear a bit think towards the end, but I still really enjoy them. I already read The Pirates! In an Adventure with Scientists some time ago (I fail to see how anyone could avoid reading a book with such an intriguing title) and I have The Pirates! In an Adventure with Communists on the way from the library. I am a sucker for novels that involve bad puns and/or intellectual snobbery, I guess. Plus: monkeys & ham!


I also have some knitting pictures, but alas they are on my currently-defunct laptop, so I cannot get at them. I made my sister a very lovely scarf for Christmas & am currently knitting her another.

No comments: