Sunday, May 13, 2007

Sassy.

How Sassy Changed My Life: A Love Letter to the Greatest Teen Magazine of All Time by Kara Jesella & Marisa Meltzer

This book is about the rise and fall of Sassy Magazine. I'm not ashamed to say that I still have all of my old issues of Sassy -- and that I sometimes go back and reread them. It was such a great magazine: it was feminist and intelligent and slightly wacky -- and it made you feel that it was okay to be all of those things, too.

This book goes into more detail about the founding of Sassy, the running of Sassy and the, perhaps inevitable, end of Sassy. It was interesting, perhaps most because it helped me reclaim the feelings from that time. I still remember the sickening feeling in my stomach when the "new" Sassy came in my mailbox. And I still remember most of the writers; when Kim France started Lucky magazine, my first thought was that she was from Sassy. So this book was fun -- and interesting, because I'd never quite figured out why the magazine failed.

If you liked Sassy, perhaps you'd like these magazine:
Bust
Bitch: Feminist Response to Pop Culture
Jane (I don't actually read this anymore.... but it does have the same editor.)

No comments: