Wednesday, July 4, 2007

Posies

Zen Flowers: Designs to Soothe the Senses and Nourish the Soul by Brenda Berkley & Anulka Kitamura

I saw this in a huge pile at Borders a few weeks ago. The pictures are great -- I don't think I've ever seen another book on flowers where I liked so many of the arrangements -- so I almost bought it. Thank goodness I didn't -- turns out that Amazon has the hardcover on sale for $6.

So that's the one I have. And, I must say, I think I'm glad I didn't pay full price ($30). The pictures are lovely and I'm sure I'll look at this book many, many times for inspiration. But the text doesn't make me that happy. Some of it is useful, but I doubt I'll read the whole thing again. I'll probably just skim it and/or look up things. Which is fine.

This book is published by Stewart, Tabori & Chang. They have such lovely products. I don't know who does their layouts, but they are genius. So many times when I'm drawn to a book, I find it is by them. Their works include several that I often look at for inspiration: Alterknits, Last-Minute Knitted Gifts (love it -- also the sewing companion books, although I can't quite bring myself to buy them), Loop-d-Loop and Weekend Knitting.

No comments: