Tuesday, April 30, 2019

Musée Cognacq-Jay, Place Des Vosges, & Dance


Today I went down to the Place des Vosges, where I sat in a cafe having a latte (and also watching the two employees determine how to completely redesign the interior).


I then proceeded to the Musée Cognacq-Jay, which I would say wasn't worth the price, except I got in for free because their computer was down (and the security guard eventually just walked the three of us over to the main building).  It was, as is not unusual, mostly their private collection.  Very ornate.  Lots of women showing off one breast.



They have a project in the attic that has contemporary artists working on murals, but today was not one of the days they were actually there.  I did learn, via eavesdropping, that the wood is likely not the original wood, but was replaced in about 30 years ago (assuming my French was up to that).

Got a falafel and ate it in front of a church.  I then headed down to La Cité internationale des arts.  I saw a show on contemporary Iranian photography, which was really good.  They were for sale and I actually asked about buying one, but -- of course -- the one I wanted was too much.  "They are about €200-300.  Oh, except that artist, who charges €1650."



I then went into the other part of the building, where there was a one-man show where the artist made up his own bank notes with different images of African leaders.

And then, the reason I'd gone, really, was a dance performance/multi-disciplinary work about feminism.  It was really interesting.  The music layered a lot of different tracks and there were several periods where they were projecting images onto the dancer.  Obviously I don't have any pictures from that, but this is how the performer was when we came in:


Tomorrow is 1 Mai, which is a holiday.  Don't worry, I am aware that demonstrations are scheduled.  Luckily lots of stuff is closed, so I won't have much reason to stray far.  A good excuse to get laundry done.

-->

No comments: