Saturday, May 4, 2019

Musée national Jean-Jacques Henner


Today was rather rainy, but I didn't let that stop me from wandering outside.  I went to a brocante on Avenue des Ternes.  They are sort of like a flea market, but not permanent the way the flea markets in Paris tend to be.  The street is lined with little booths.


I ended up not buying anything.  I found some lovely art deco dessert forks, but even I don't think I need two sets of dessert forks.  And there were some nice linens, but I didn't want to carry them the rest of the day.  It gave me a general sense of how things are priced, though.  I popped up to see the Arc de Triomphe, since I was close by.

I then went to the Jean-Jacques Henner museum, which was quite good.  They had a show about red heads and their depictions in art.  It was interesting.  I had not realized, for instance, that Judas is normally shown as a red-head (although that also came up in my book on colors, which I read this afternoon).  Henner, on the other hand, painted Jesus as a red-head:




Walked around a bit after that, stopping to buy merveilleux.  

I went back to my place via metro, only to arrive to see at least 20 police officers standing around in full riot gear (helmets, shields, etc.) Apparently there was a demonstration march scheduled. That was disconcerting, as was the fact that the staff where I ate lunch advised people not to leave until things had died down.  They were running out to keep an eye on things and said that, on a previous occasion, they'd had to close completely. That said, I didn't hear any actual issues and nothing looked amiss when I came out.  
(The blue line is the march that went through my area.  The shaded regions are "you can't demonstrate here."  Some of the train stations were closed, but that didn't impact me.)





No comments: