Sunday, January 21, 2007

Yes, I did buy a novel because it was about knitting.


The Knitting Circle, by Ann Hood. This book is good -- very well-written. I did find the level of sadness a bit unrealistic, although the conceit is that the woman who runs the knitting circle brings together people who need healing.

Maybe it's just that I'm in sort of funk myself, but really... Everyone has a secret past that is haunting them and/or a horrible disease that is killing them and/or a recent death to deal with. And just when you think things will start improving, wham! a new disease/relationship problem/death. At least it doesn't end with someone giving away their baby to the newly childless couple -- I actually groaned out loud when I thought that might happen.

And what helps everyone? Knitting. This really take the idea behind books like The Knitting Sutra and runs with it.

Still, the writing is very good and I actually did care about the main character. I liked how she grew and her reactions to various events seemed realistic -- not aways sad, not quite willing to be happy, annoyed by stupid little things.

One small complaint: I don't know if I'm just a slow knitter or what, but I couldn't believe how fast these people could whip out the projects. 5 inches of sock knitting in the time it takes to recount one page of story? 5 inches of super big scarf, maybe.

No comments: