Saturday, June 8, 2019

Pompidou

On my last real day in Paris, we went to the Pompidou. There was a very interesting show on prehistory and how that became a thing and how artists responded to discoveries of prehistorical information. I hadn't really seen that combination before. An Arp sculpture and a prehistoric sculpture are hard to distinguish, aside from the scale.  I also really liked one piece that was in a completely darkened room; you had to let your eyes adjust for several minutes before you could make out a series of handprints decorating a wall.  That one, obviously, is not pictured. 

 





I also went back and saw the floor of art that I'd missed the first time: the contemporary art. 


There were several pieces that each took up an entire room. I tend to really like those, so you can imagine I was happy.  In particular, this one, where you were completely surrounded by enormous rolls of felt.  The atmosphere was so different!
 
This was a room completely lined in bay leaves:
Then we went out for crepes and I snuck back to my favorite bakery one last time...

No comments: