Tuesday, March 20, 2007

Book Round Up

I've been a bit sick and also out of town, so here's a quick recap of my latest book-reading:

Ammonite by Nicola Griffith: Really good. I'd actually read it before, but couldn't exactly remember the plot. I liked it so much that I spent a lot of time looking for another book by her.

Slow River by Nicola Griffith: And this is the other book by her that I got. It's excellent. I'd also read this, but luckily didn't remember all of the plots twists exactly.

James Tiptree Award Anthology 2: also extremely good. I love James Tiptree and I like the idea of this award, which is to promote interesting writing on gender. Ammonite won it and I was looking at the website for the award when I found out about this. There is an extremely wonderful short story in here that looks at the possibility of their being more than 2 genders.

The Joy of Doing Things Badly: A Girl's Guide to Love, Life and Foolish Bravery by Veronica Chambers: This really was just okay. Don't let the picture of knitting on the cover fool you.

Among the Hidden by Margaret Peterson Haddix: YA novel that has the premise of the government only allowing couples to have 2 children. I have some of the sequels, so I'll discuss it more later.

The Ordinary Princess by M.M. Kaye: This is short and fun.

No comments: