Friday, May 17, 2019

Marmottan Museum, Maison Européene de la Photographie

Wednesday I decided to do a few chores.  I went to a yarn/fabric store, where I managed to buy some linen and needles totally in French.  Look how lovely the colors are!  (That said, I bought grey.  It's still lovely, though.)

Then I walked over to BHV to return my belt.  Here is a tiny sample of the view on the way. Was also forced to stop and have coffee and a lemon tart. It's a hard life, I tell you... 
 


 
Belt was returned -- so easily! everyone was super nice to me and my bumbling language skills (I was slightly worried because when I picked up the belt a woman was very agitated about her items not being taken back). Then I got a rhubarb tart, because how can you resist that?  Rhubarb compote, rhubarb-flavored whipped creme and poached rhubarb.  

Thursday, I went to two museums. First, the Marmottan, which has the largest collection of Monet's paintings in the world (some of them, I'd say, not his best work). It also has a pretty solid collection of other stuff. This room alone had Renoir, Gaugin, Sisley, and Caillebotte. 
(I'm not sure how happy my French history teacher would be about my retention of the events between the first and third republics, but I'm sure he'd be pleased that I've retained all these artists. For homework, we had to look at art slideshows on our own every week.)

There was a room full of illuminated manuscripts, which were beautiful. And a show on French painters' Orientalism, which was really interesting. Especially because I got to eavesdrop on a tour, which I think was an art class.
The basement is full of these huge Monet paintings.  Easily twenty, maybe more. They surround you.  It's incredible.
Smaller works, too, of course.
And they had a show that was a current artist in conversation with older works, which it seems like they plan to do yearly.  Also, slightly weirdly, there was a collection of épées down there.
After I left, I planned to return to the yarn store, because apparently I can knit faster than I remembered. But that was not to be. A man (actually sitting across from me) on the train just keeled over from his seat and onto the floor, hitting his head (I think). People jumped up and rushed to help (stopping the train, giving him water, moving his things, talking to him, buying him something to eat [although a nurse said not to give it to him], etc.). Of course the train was stopped while we waited for the firemen. The man said he hadn't eaten all day and seemed to be very dazed but fine. Still best not to take any chances. I eventually determined that I was not making it to the store, so I got off the train and decided to go to the European Photography Museum. 

They had a show by Ren Hang, whose work I actually saw for the first time the last time I was in Europe (in Leipzig). This show was much bigger, though.



They also had work by Coco Capitán, who had work in a bunch of different media.  I quite liked it.



And a really interesting piece by Yingguang Guo, which showed a park in Shanghai where people go to try to find a spouse for their kid. She is too old and too educated, apparently. That was a video installation, so no real photos to share.

Today I'm debating what to do.  My leg isn't 100% right and I want to do the flea market tomorrow and Sunday I am heading to Rouen to see a friend.  

No comments: