Saturday, May 11, 2019

Catching up

Two days to report on!

On Thursday, I decided to walk down to the Fondation Cartier for l'Art Contemporain.  Here is a play area that I walked past on my way:



And here is a view as I crossed over to the Left Bank.



I got caught in an unexpected downpour and had to take refuge in a Starbucks (not pictured).  Then continued my walk, only to discover I was walking into an enormous protest march. Of course. It mostly took place while I was in the museum, though.



The museum had a special presentation by Radioh Europa, two artists who drove (and are still driving) around Europe collecting love songs from people.  They broadcast live a bunch of the songs.  The main show was a bunch of emerging European artists who were allowed to do sort of whatever they wanted.



The next day I went back up to Canal St-Martin, where I drank coffee, walked up to an arts center that had some interesting graffiti, walked around some more, looked at some stores, had tea, and then went to meet my friend David at the train station.  He came from Berlin to visit for the weekend. We had coffee in a place that was setting up for the first meal of Ramadan.  And then we went out for couscous.











Fondation Cartier pour l'Art ContemporainFon
Fondation Cartier pour l'Art Contemporain
Fondation Cartier pour l'Art Contemporain

2 comments:

Lurker said...

Play area? looks like sculpture.
Always fascinates me to see older european street scenes, with buildings right up to the very narrow streets. So unlike what I am used to seeing. I wonder what brought that about.

another protest? is this a normal Parisian feature, or does it have to do with a current political issue?

Scrubber said...

I think it's a play area that is made to be also appreciated as sculpture.

I've been taking a lot of images of narrow streets (which are fine when you don't have cars/carriages). Haussmann tore down a lot of things in the late 1800s so there are also some quite wide boulevards.

I think protests are fairly normal, but there has been a particular amount of unrest in the last maybe 6 months. Mostly economic issues.